Electrics that is !.
Near the end of my christmas cruise the boats electrics completely packed in and my basic level of electrical problem solving :poke around a bit ! just wasn’t up to sorting the problem out. I thought about it for a bit and then went down to the boat one day just to at least try and solve the problem although i also had a good idea that i would end up re-wiring most of the boat : just going back a few years when i had to refit the Frances i had to take this approach because the salt water had destroyed a lot of what was there and things like the new engine control panel would be installed new anyway.
When i got around to the Frances re-wire i knew i was going to have to do it myself because i couldn’t afford anyone elses work (the marine sparky wanted to charge £60 an hour plus all the materials) at that price i could well afford some books on the subject and the time spent learning. Having learnt how to mostly re-wire a boat i figured that it would be a good exercise to try and problem solve this one. Ok so it took me 2 hours mainly because it was the first time with a very posh multi-meter and i had to take that up to the car and test it first on the cars 1v batteries just to find out what i was doing wrong with the meter first. That sorted i soon worked out that the boat battery was live and i had power at the battery selector switch but beyond that couldn’t find a live circuit anywhere. It should have been obvious but i just couldn’t trace my way through the odd coloured spaghetti of the switch panel. Many brews and much swearing later the logic became obvious and i suddenly realised that there was no power at the main switch panel…BECAUSE THERE WAS NO POWER AT THE SWITCH PANEL…doh ! and yes it was a broken battery selector switch.
It does change things in that i haven’t got to replace everything in the boat , many of the wiring runs are ok but it does need several new things and a huge tidy up. Its going to get a new 12v switch panel mounted in the cabin, a new PV panel mounted today, new charging regulator and the main thing will be a huge new sealed jel battery to go in the space under the cockpit.
The appearance of the wiring right now is that of a complete amateur bodge, obviously messed around with several times over the years. The kind of standard i am shooting for is what i achieved with the Frances of which this is the best example..the switch panel itself.
I don’t have the luxury of that amount of space this time but it will be good to see how neat and functional i can get it.